Important Safety Tips
Batteries are a part of our everyday life and it’s powering a lot of devices around us that help us to have an easier and more convenient life. However there is still some safety tips and responsibility that we believe you should know to minimize the risk of harm to yourself, family members and your devices. Therefore please follow these safety tips to avoid misuse of batteries, and have a safer experience with no accidents.
1. Refer to the “+” and “-” poles of the battery when placing your battery in the device.
2. Do not mix different batteries together. For example: one should not mix Alkaline Batteries with Zinc-Carbon Batteries together in a device.
3. Do not mix new batteries with older batteries; therefore please change all the batteries together.
4. Do not place or store batteries next to metallic objects such as keys, coins, etc.. as storing battering loosely with those objects might cause the battery to short circuit and explode.
5. Take out the batteries from the device if the device is not used for a long period.
6. Never dispose or throw the batteries in a fire, as doing so may cause an explosion.
7. If an electrolyte splashes on your skin, immediately rinse with cold water and visit a doctor.
8. Do not put primary battery (single use battery) in charger.
9. Keep batteries out of children’s reach, because there is a possibility that they might swallow or come in contact with harmful chemical. In this event, visit a doctor immediately.
10. Do not dissemble or open up a battery.
11. Do not short circuit a battery.
12. Do not subject batteries to high temperatures or high humidity.
13. Store in cool dry places and avoid direct sunlight.
Ni-Mh / Ni-Cd Rechargeable Batteries
1. Only charge Nickel Metal Hydride batteries using those specific chargers that satisfy the battery’s specifications and with safety certifications.
2. Never disassemble Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. Doing so may cause an internal or external short circuit or result in exposed material or battery reacting chemically with the air. It may also cause heat generation, bursting and fire. Also, thi is dangerous as it may cause splashing of alkaline fluid.
3. Never solder lead wires directly onto Nickel Metal Hydride cells, the heat of the soldering operation may melt the insulation, damage the gas release vents or protective devices, cause leakage of battery fluid, heat generation, bursting and fire.
4. The gas release vent which releases internal gas is located in the + (positive) terminal of the Nickel Metal Hydride battery. For this reason, never deform this section or cover or obstruct its gas release structure. If this section is deformed or covered or obstructed, the gas release vent will not function properly, possibly causing leakage of battery fluid, heat generation, bursting and fire.
5. Nickel Metal Hydride batteries contain the strong colorless alkaline solution (electrolyte). The alkaline solution is extremely corrosive and will cause skin damage. If any fluid from Nickel Metal Hydride battery comes into contact with a user’s eyes, they should immediately flush their eyes and wash them thoroughly with enough clean water from the tap or another source and consult a doctor urgently. The strong alkaline solution can damage eyes and lead to permanent loss of eyesight.
Button Cells/ Micro Batteries
1. Do not store button cells or micro batteries at places where it’s easily accessible by children.
2. If ingested, initial symptoms may be similar to other childhood illness such as coughing, drooling and discomfort. If you know or suspect that a child has swallowed a button cell or micro battery, go to the hospital emergency room immediately. Do not let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting.
3. Pay attention to warning and labels describing the dangers of button cells and micro batteries in various everyday products.
4. Check that devices or products with button batteries have design that avoids easy access to the battery compartments for children.
5. Examine devices periodically and make sure the battery compartments are secure.
6. Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.